Monday, July 25, 2011

Somewhere Out There

When I was younger, pre-laptop times, I'd watch the night sky from my open air kitchen as I ate supper. As I got older I was more pressed for time, and often brought my supper to the computer to eat. I stopped spending time looking at the sky. Not that there was much to see though. When Google Earth first came out, you could barely see Singapore because it was covered with a massive cloud for good reason: Singapore is a very cloudy place. This cloudiness of course, affected any proper attempt to stargaze. That and the massive light pollution from all the street lights, which combined to make stargazing near impossible.

I remember when I was younger, I'd look out at the night sky, at the moon and think "this is the same moon my loved one is under". For a particular partner (I'm not being mysterious, I really can't remember who it is anymore), I even told him to think of me every time he saw the moon. So the moon became a quasi-symbol of love and remembrance for me. Today when I looked out however there was no moon at all. I'm not even being dramatic, I saw no sign of the moon. The internet tells me it's a waning moon, but it sure looked like a new moon to me (I just learned that no moon = new moon while trying to find the right terminology for this). I however did see an unusually bright twinkling dot, that made me think was a satellite, and three stars dotting the night sky. I do really wonder where the moon is.

-----

Today I am starting Steinback's Of Mice and Men. It already feels promising, pages in. Hopefully it's small size will be a welcome respite from the Forna that I finished today.

No comments: