Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Today has been quite a good day, a much needed change from the past few days when my moods have been erratic and bounced all over the place and bleed out affected the people around me :/ While it's too early to say if this episode is well and truly over, I'd like to think that today has been a much needed break at least.

After school I took a train from Dover to Raffles Place to meet Lauren at Mallal & Namazie. On the train there, an old woman boarded at Commonwealth Station, only to find the entire carriage full. She ended up standing next me as the train started and I was kind of annoyed no one gave up their seat for her. However this has a happy ending as by the next stop, a young woman looked up and saw her and gave up her seat.

After getting off at Raffles Place, I walked the same route I had used hundreds of times before (okay well maybe 100+) when I was working there earlier this year, just surveying how fast the place had changed. New tenants had occupied old spaces, dusty areas under construction were turned into shiny new gourmet coffee shops and half of lau pa sat was being renovated.

At the traffic junction, as I waited for the lights to change, the most annoying woman stood within earshot. Across the road there were tv cameras and some news anchor of sorts interviewing people. This woman/kid was with two Caucasians, a male and a female. Now please picture the whiniest, most high pitched voice ever, then add a fake accent to it.

Woman: "OH MY GOD LOOK THERE! THERE'S TV!"
Man: "Oh yeah."
Woman: "I WONDER WHAT THEY'RE DOING HERE!!!"
Woman: "OH MY GOD THAT'S MY COLLEAGUE!!! HOW COME SHE'S BEING INTERVIEWED?"
and the like.

Wtf. My faced was literally -________- as I did my best to not get annoyed at her. ARGH BIMBO, worse, she had such a jarring voice. When I finally caught sight of her, she was wearing an off shoulder white top and had a mini denim skirt on. What kind of idiot wears that to work?! The two Caucasians were wearing business suits.

Afterwards, Lauren and I took a bus to Chinatown and spent the rest of the time wandering about, shopping and around 5:30 we boarded 961 to go home.

For dinner my grandma prepared a really nice steak dinner because she knew I was coming. I felt quite touched when I found out, because she knows I love my beef :D and those steaks would have cost a pretty penny. I was also talking to Lauren and she was telling me how the family (meaning my extended one from the grandmother) was already planning for my education, meaning they were making provisions to put me through college, overseas. They all knew that a mother like mine wouldn't do dick shit for my education (and beginning of this year she told me she had no money to send me to university despite the massive amounts of money she spends on clothes every month!). My father has been saving too, by himself apparently, something he told me a few weeks ago. He says he has enough to put me through university in Singapore at least.

At the end of the day it isn't so much about the money, but the fact that all my relatives love me and care for me enough to be willing to sacrifice money to allow me to pursue my dreams, and goodness knows education overseas isn't cheap. All this just brings out the glaring point about how selfish my mother is, she's my parent but she doesn't care enough to sacrifice the monetary funds for my education.

I always lament about how dysfunctional, yet lovable my family is, but this really proves at the end of the day that they will always look out for me and love me, no matter what, even if those who are supposed to, don't.

No comments: