Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Currently Reading: Eeeee Eee Eeee by Tao Lin

I keep forgetting to blog about the books I've read. So here is a summary of books I've read, with the most memorable lines of some.

Books I read:
Ha Jin - Waiting
Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
Thomas Hardy - Jude the Obscure
Jhumpa Lahiri - Interpreter of Maladies (this will definitely be in my Top 10 list of 2009)

'He cupped his hands around his mouth, and then he whispered, "It means loving someone you don't know"' (In reference to being asked what "sexy" means, the character is a little boy whose dad ran off with someone 'sexy')

Tao Lin - Eeeee Eee Eeee (currently reading this now, but will be done soon)

'"No I'm not. I liked Braveheart, starring Mel Gibson." Andrew grinned. Shit-eating grin, he thought. Mark did not respond. He was a graduate student, Andew knew, from Singapore, where in the army one night they screened Braveheart in an auditorium, then lectured on patriotism, citing scenes from Braveheart.'

On another note, the protagonist keeps obsessing about Jhumpa Laghiri, rather amusing.

Mohsin Hamid - The Reluctant Fundamentalist

"The owner had been a legendary figure in the local A&R scene; when he removed his sunglasses, his eyes contained the sort of cosmic openness one associates with prolonged exposure to LSD."

Michael Chabon - The Mysteries of Pittsburgh

"So Cleveland could not be stopped from bringing Happy up from one of her basement hiding places and mating her to Teddy's three pit bulls, which, when introduced to Happy in the Bellwether's dining room, showed a great deal of alarcity in mounting the distant heights of her vagina."

ie: bringing Happy, a bitch in heat, to meet 3 pit bulls. I died when I read this bit.

No comments: