Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Close My Eyes and Fly Out of My Mind

The past 2 days have brought to me yet a new range of experience from temp-ing at the shop. Things like:-

1) Learning how to use the cash register/nets machine/credit card machine;
2) How to get locked out of the shop because I can't open the shutters;
3) Jamming up the cash register till it makes a high pitched whine of agony;
4) Learning how to open the shutters properly;
5) Learning how to make the cash register stop whining;
6) How to disguise the face that I've dropped a customer's credit card into the dustbin by accident;
7) Learning that customers always come in at the most inappropriate time of the most inappropriate song;
8) Learning that Snuff by Chuck Palahnuik is damn dodgy, but also really good (finished it in one day there);
9) Learning that old soft rock is really the best most neutral music to play in a shop;
10) Learning that no Yong Tau Foo on earth can compare to Lau Pa Sat's Koh Kee Hakka Yong Tau Foo;
11) Learning that Subway at HV is stingy;
12) Citibank is a real bank. It is not Standard Chartered;
13) Learning that credit cards can be used for Nets too;
14) Learning that the reverse is not true. ATM cards don't work with the credit card machine;
15) Learning that ATM cards really look like credit cards if you're not paying attention;
16) AMEX is a pain in the ass because you need to key in a code on the card;
17) Customers have a tendency to forget and leave their cards behind;
18) The 3rd level female toilet of Holland Avenue Shopping Centre is really really cold for some reason;
19) The ang mohs are either very friendly or very rude. There are no 'average' normal ones;
20) The satsifaction one gets from not giving a mean customer a new piece of item is quite high.

I have also learned that (outside of my working life):-

1) Byatt's Posession is woefully dull and a massive disappointment (t0 me anyway, I bet there are people who read this blog that have enjoyed it). I feel it's an exercise in intellectual wankery that has no appeal whatsoever with terribly dull and unremarkable characters. It is remarkably Victorian without the wit of Austen (no probability of zombies too) or the drama/tragedy of Hardy. The last book I gave up reading was Le Carre's The Naive and Sentimental Lover around 2005/6-ish;
2) The Sims 3 is not like The Sims 2. I am midly upset/disappointed that I cannot be a control freak and control everyone in the town;
3) Shinshi Doumei Cross is really not bad for a manga. At least it kept my mind occupied for the past 3 nights;
4) My hand eye leg coordination is really bad. I just came back from playing Guitar Hero with Steph and JH and I died doing the drums. I did managed to survive something on Medium till 68% ish on the drums though. Ended up leaving it on Beginner so I could slack and enjoy myself;
5) My sleep cycle has gone to crap now, I am getting mild insomnia and waking up tired.

Kay, I think I better sleep now.

No comments: