Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Forest

So far over this past week selling feminine wares in a little fair in Marina Square (I sense some assonance in that last sentence) I have learned that I am far too honest and nice to be a good salesperson. I have absolutely zero interest in trying to pressure customers into buying something they might regret later, in essence I treat them the same way I'd like to be treated, which really defeats the purpose of sales. There are even times I feel like telling the customers "oh actually xxx has better stuff for this purpose" and I get worried when I see women approach the laptop bags which have no padding at all (I imagine them just dumping their naked laptops inside without any protection). I do however get a kick, a rise in pleasure, for the knowledge at having sold something. We even have little games where we attempt to outsell the earlier shift/try to sell a bag that has proven hard to sell.

There have been a few interesting customers too, like the 2 weird old men who came on the first day and asked a lot of questions. Then there are those people who like to pretend they are very clever and that 'they have never heard of our brand' and 'they used to live in australia/go there often/have an uncle ten times removed in australia and thus are the leading authority on australian brands'. There was also a woman who loved the acessory bag so much but had no money (she was leaving to go back to HK) and ended up giving us her USD10 in addition to the rest of her SGD to buy the bag. There was also another woman who came with her brother and they bought 2 bags from us and he paid for one :D (I almost referred to him as her boyfriend, so good thing I didn't). There were also the weird swarm of foreigners of an Asian origin (for some reason I think they're from the Indochina region) who came to our shop and inexplicaby started posing for pictures with the sign and goods even though they bought nothing. They weren't even teenagers, but middle aged men and women, plus the odd elderly grandma or two.

Anyway one more day of the fair left, then I have 2 full days of working at the shop proper next week and another fair in early July. Let's see if anything else weird happens.

No comments: