Saturday, June 20, 2009

Echo & The Bunnymen

I came back home today from Social Night with Zhikai to encounter a smoked out kitchen (well as smoked out as a open air kitchen can be). My first thought when I entered the kitchen was 'eh burnt rice smell, some lucky dog is eating claypot rice!' and 'MMMMMMM CLAYPOT RICE'. Then I realised there were plumes of smoke rising from the stove. Big big plumes.

I went over and discovered a small fire had erupted on the stove, presumably because it had been lit for a long time. Luckily the larger than normal fire went away when I turned off the gas valve. I was then faced with the dilemna of what to do next, because there was also a melted plastic colander on top of the lid covering the wok. I ended up removing the cover with a pair of tongs and removing the pan of glutinous rice inside. The top layer of the rice had turned black. I covered it with a cover to keep out the insects.

I sincerely hope I do not see that rice again for breakfast tomorrow.

No comments: