Sunday, May 28, 2006

My Chinese O levels are tomorrow, but I honestly do not think I can get my D7 this time, even with my newfound optimism and all. Still, I get a second chance in November this year, thank goodness, it isn't often that one gets a second chance.

Yesterday I had Chinese tutition, which brought up my total clocked hours of Chinese for this past one week alone up to 23 hours. Bloody Chinese. Anything my tuition teacher and I looked through my Chinese compositions and my goodness, we kept roaring with laughter. If I was the examiner, I would've given myself 0 marks! It was that bad.

Because my first language is English, I think in English and convert it over to Chinese. However as with all direct translations, alot of meanings are 'lost in translation', albeit to comedic effect in my compositions. Like for instance instead of writing 'he died when he was only 16', I wrote 'he only died when he was 16' (inferrence that he should've commited suicide earlier). What a pile of rubbish I wrote, and I had such difficulty understanding what I wrote too! Plus with my thinking in hanyu pingying, the words I wrote often wasn't the one suitable for that line, but had the same sounding pronounciation.

Oh well. I'll just do my best tomorrow, but thank goodness I get a second crack at the language at the end of this year.

No comments: