Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Reminder

Today I was at Giant with my family after lunch. At the cashier's counter, my brother had wandered over to the fire red hose reel and was absentmindedly standing around and touching the reel in his typical blur manner. As I walked over to pull him back to where the rest of the family was, I noticed a Malay woman and her husband in the neighbouring cashier's counter smiling at him.

When they finished paying for their purchases they came over to where my brother and I were standing. It turned out they had a son too who was 'like' Ryan. As they pointed out a small boy in a brown cap standing with other members of their family, it transpired that both their son and Ryan went to the same MINDs school and that she had seen Ryan about before.

After they said goodbye and left, I was filled with a strange sensation: that no matter how much trouble my brother causes my family, I wasn't alone.

No comments: