Monday, June 05, 2006

Today I went out with my father to watch L'enfant with my father at Cathy's The Picturehouse cinema. It was, very weird.

The seats were EXTREMELY uncomfortable, creaked loads when I shifted my body in them, had no areas to rest one's neck and had zero lower back support. It was a nightmare.

The movie itself was something I had wanted to watch from some time ago but I was kind of disappointed. Palme d'Or, or not, it was draggy at times (which made me think of Angeline's comment, that indie movies always featured excessive shots of people doing absolutely nothing) and the 100 minutes it ran felt more like 180 minutes.

On the upside they showed trailers for some other upcoming indie movies, and Paradise Now seems like a good one to watch. Oh right I just checked the IMDB listings, appears that Pradise Now is rated M18 in Singapore -.- Boo.

I was at the National Library today too with my father and the place with filled with students of various ages studying. Some had set up their laptops on CHAIRS along the fiction aisles and sat on the floor to acess their computers and I even spotted some girl leaning against the walls, frowning as she clutched some really elementary looking chemistry worksheet (Sec 3 Chem I think).

If there was a place to not study, I think the National Library had to be it. The place is always crowded and there are always people like me, who go to the library to borrow books and make lots of noise (pity I didn't think of starting a book landslide just now), little kids running about and so on. If I wanted to study properly I'd go back to school or stay at home and study. Studying in such a public place is sheer madness and is filled full of distractions! It's like they want to go they are show off their KOOL Chemistry Textbook so they can entrapt that CUTE guy over yonder studying The Crucible (which took me ages to find despite utilising my old dewey decimal skills from when I was a school librarian).

As I was at the Literature section of the library (which is, oddly enough, located in the non-fiction section of the library) seaching for that elusive text, I saw this girl, slightly younger than me running about with a whole list of books. She started to pull out seemingly random books and then something occured to me: a) she was pulling out all the books thicker than my arms b) she was pulling out poetry books and c) they were all hardxcore lit texts.

Oh my word.

And she just sat there in the middle of the aisle reading them.

I'm not a super pro lit person, but I'm better at Lit than most of my classmates and it takes me at least 20 minutes of really intense concentration to fully annotate, feel, and understand a poem. That girl was taking 3 minutes per page and flipping like mad. Excuse me?!

I bet she didn't understand half the stuff she was reading. Now she could have been some super genius with an IQ of 200, but odds are, she isn't. She just looked ridiculously shallow and pretentious, trying to act smart and blocking my path and I went about in circles looking for that darned Miller book. And she looks only 14.

In case you're wondering why I was looking for something that can be considered a hardxcore lit text, it was because Suat told me it was very closely related in theme to An Enemy of the People, and if it can help be do better at EOP, I'm willing to read it. Plus it sounds interesting from the wikipedia article I read on it.

On other news I finished the entire Gundam SEED Destiny series. Now I am left to go cold turkey after cramming up to 4 episodes (2 hours' worth) per night, sometimes 5 if I can manage it. Ho hum. I have to go back to school again tomorrow.

No comments: