Friday, April 20, 2007

As I was at the crossing at Orchard Boulevard with a classmate from my Japanese class, I saw my bus was slowing advancing towards the bus stop. As I cursed the prospect of missing the bus, the lights changed in my favour and I ran like hell and managed to get on.

On the bus I found a place to lean against in the standing area, my mp3 was working, the bus wasn't crowded and my bag wasn't heavy, yep things felt good (:

At the Holland Village bus stop, many people got off and this petite Filipino-looking woman got on and stood next to me, holding onto the same pole. I was looking around the bus and my eyes rested on a office worker who was sitting at those seats parallel to the sides of the bus and to my utter amusement he was giving the finger to his phone. The funniest part of it all was that he didn't do it in a really obvious rude way, but had his hand on his lap and the phone in the other hand, middle finger pointed straight at the phone, not budging the least.

I started to smile inanely, and then the woman next to me noticed too and we both started grinning silly, two strangers sharing an absurd joke, a private moment of amusement. When she got off I saw her look at me and smile, and I smiled too.

As I was walking back home from the bus stop, I saw a MPV, stopped at the side of the road, inside a man and a woman were sharing a long kiss. Usually the first thought that hit my mind would be "Get a room!", but for some reason it made me even happier to see that someone out there, at least for that moment, had someone to love, to hold and to cherish.

For my night, the little bit of love and closeness between strangers somehow made me feel happy, that as long as little things like that continued to occur, man would never lose their sense of humanity.

No comments: