Saturday, January 12, 2008

I read with great interest an article in today's Lifestyle section about 'alleged' plagiarism (I've long learned that saying alleged means you don't believe it and saying 'alleged' leans more to the hahaha I'm mocking you and I believe it sort) in a romance novel.

At first I was about to dismiss it as one in a long line of controversies in writing, vaguely recalling this author attending some top name university who wrote a crap book anyway, lifting great chunks of prose from another crap book, then I read the bit where Nora Roberts owned her. Since the readership of this blog has greatly shifted from romance novel readers to the more highbrow sort, Nora Roberts is literally the Stephen King of Horror, the Herbert/Asminov of Sci-Fi (the comparison being made in terms of name visibility), in other words it's like having the biggest name in the industry own you.

The comparisons presented are most interesting and personally I find the sudden change in perspective in Cassie Edward's novels a little too stilted to be a conscious-stream-of-thought- actual-piece-of-writing. As for Cassie Edwards, I never heard of her till today. They should run her novels through Turn It In, ohohoho.

Anyway the original article is here, with a most delightful url of 'smart bitches trashy books'. If you want some lulz, click the adverts to the side of the article which provide some really really dodgy looking books with dodgier blurbs.

No comments: