Tuesday, January 27, 2009

CNY Day II

Every year on this day (of the lunar calendar) I embark on an epic quest to visit all the relatives on my mothers side, the people I see mainly once a year whose names I don't actually know. The journey more often than not starts out in my guo mah's place in Lorong Ah Soo and then goes on to Aunty Rosalind's house, Aunty Janet's house, dunno who's house that is where we always have lunch and is 3 stories above guo mah's house, house that is next to Aljuned MRT station, house that is somewhere opposite the Tampines Rover Statium and house where Jianyang and family states (in Pasir Ris). This usually takes us from about 11am in the morning till 6pm in the evening. Like every subsequent day before that, I am now tired at the end of everything.

Today the topic relatives spoke to me about was about universities (used to be about me being blown away when the wind blows). This led to me thinking about how in one year's time (lunar year anyway) there would be a high probability that I would be shivering away in some cold wet corner of the earth and actually missing Chinese New Year and all it's trouble. I'm still not sure what to make of it. As much as I complain about how I hate CNY and visiting my mothers side for all the awkwardness it brings, it's been a yearly ritual of my life from 18 years ago when I was first born - and I've kind of gotten used to the fact that I will always know my cousins less than they know each other, and not mind it at the same time. It also seems like a pity how I'll not be seeing them in the foreseeable future for a long time too, with university and all to reckon with.

Oh well.

No comments: