Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Flame of the Forest Will Claim Many More Victims Yet

A car accident just occurred outside of my house. As my room windows were open I heard the bang rather clearly and loudly. I ran to the window and for a moment I thought I was dreaming as I saw leaves and twigs shower down from the heavens all over the place. However after seeing the mess ran downstairs and out of the house after telling my father. As I ran out my mind started reeling panic, what if the driver was so injured that I couldn't help? And as I ran I regretted that my first aid training had lapsed in 2007.

When I reached the car (about 10m from the house)/(wtf the ambulance is just here. The accident occurred like 10 minutes+ ago) I peeped inside and saw no one in the drivers seat, as I mentally wtf-ed and ducked around to the other side I saw mass of white material crumpled on the driver's side of the road with the wearer in a foetal position. I started speaking to her and tried to help her up, but couldn't really do much till my dad came a few seconds later to help her up and carry her to the side. To my shock the girl looked about my age (probably about one year older than me), and she was clutching onto her blackberry intently.

As far as I could tell the girl was fine. She had a few scratches on her right knee, complained of a pain in her wrist and was mostly dazed. She had just had an accident like many others outside my house - she crashed into the old flame of the forest tree right the Holland Road side turning to my house. She was very very lucky; I've seen similar accidents with the same tree that have left the drivers covered head to toe in blood. Yet somehow throughout all this I've been living here that tree has seen so many accidents and is none the worse for the wear. I could probably go into some sort of nature versus man spiel here but that is probably rather inappropriate.

Instead what's runnning though my head is the fear that I experienced seeing her age and associating it with a car accident, the burnt sooty smell that was inside her car when I went to go inside to get her shoes and handbag and her subsequent breakdown when her brother came to the accident site about two minutes later. I fear.

No comments: