Saturday, August 30, 2008

"I was trying to make it bigger for you!" - Joash, on why he and Justin were simultaneously molesting and mutilating my papaya slice.

-----

Yesterday was another odd day. I first woke up in total darkness at an unknown time. This is because when I woke up, the air conditioning was out (which led to me waking up) and the display of my menacing red digital display of my clock was gone. In my sleep muddled mind I took approximately 0.1 nanoseconds before I started cursing the realisation that 1) something in the house had tripped therefore there was no power, 2) I didn't know the time, 3) I might be late for school.

I ended up heaving my self out of bed and walking to the circuit board on the second level. As an afterthought I went to my parent's room and realised my father was awake - so I reminded him that the power was out. He started giving me multiple excuses and to go back to sleep. Instead I returned to the circuit board to try and dig up the dregs of my sucky intro course to electricity. I started flipping the large switch at the end and it flew back down instantly. Realising that this was the cause and I didn't know what else to do, I went downstairs to the main circuit board.

I grabbed a chair from the living room and switched on the light on my way out of the house door. They turned on and I glanced at the clock, it was 5:10 am. I stood on the chair to reach for the circuit board and groped about till my fingers felt the downturned switch and I flipped it back up. Then, I went up and tried the lights again. Nothing. I went to the circuit board and the switch flipped back again. By now my mother had woken up and was afraid I'd get electrocuted to death, so she pushed my father out of bed to go help me. Then he did his Daddy Magik and the lights came on.

I ended up resetting my clock and alarm and went back to sleep for the remaining 35 minutes.

-----

When I came into class in the morning, I was greeted by a camera toting Jono. I had missed yesterday's phototaking session because I had a doctor's appointment and didn't go to school. I was horrifed because I looked awful and felt awful. I ended up scampering to the bathroom where I met Sarina. Then I returned to get two really bad shots taken of me before I returned to the bathroom again where I now met Cheryl talking to Sarina. Finally after some studying of how I looked in the mirror, I returned to get the final shot taken of me before rushing off to change to corporate tee. As you can imagine, this took a lot of time.

When I returned to class almost everyone was still there. Then a Y5 councillor popped his head in and told us to go for assembly, so we started filing out slowly. As we walked towards the staircase, I noticed how empty the place was. Then up ahead Song Yeong and Patrick stopped walking, turned back and said 'SHIT ASSEMBLY HAS STARTED!' The lot of us froze.

After the pledge was said, we quickly raced down the stairs. All throughout Cheryl was panicking, afraid that we'd get in trouble for being late. But nothing happened, not even a reprimand from WTY. So marked the first time I was ever late for assembly in ACSI.

Then it was time for the ACES day walk. I ended up walking mostly with Elliot, Justin, Ted Kin, Jim and Malcolm. It was rubbishy. Towards the end as we walked through a muddy path, our shoes got wet as we walked into puddles and sank into soft mud. Not pleasant at all -________-

During the Teacher's Day celebrations, I met Josh Hoe and Oli lingering about the entrance and blocking my path out to the bathroom. When I returned, they were still there, so I tried to lead them to some seats. However just as they sat down, the item ended and the celebration ended. FAIL -_______________-

Everyone then returned to class to celebrate Matthew's 18th birthday with some yummy cake. Then we dispersed and I went off with Shao Xiong to give the Indian Preacher his requested Teacher's Day present - November 2007 DBQs. Shao Xiong left and I went to join the remaning class people in the SAC for lunch before going to study with JLC, Gerald and Patrick.

As usual I had trouble concentrating. I kept thinking of a manner of many random things. So I walked about taking breaks in between. One time I found myself walking past the empty Audi. All the doors were flung open, illuminating the otherwise darkened hall. I felt strangely drawn inside by the feeling of something forbidden - so I entered.

I walked to the stage and sat there, facing the empty and dim hall. I felt a feeling of fear. I couldn't help but recall the hall as one of the first few places I had first entered in ACSI, one where I later spent a few afternoons doings school related rubbish in like emceeing, where I took some of my past few exams and especially where in the near future I'd be facing my moment of reckoning. So I closed my eyes and prayed out loud. Prayed for the future and for the strength to face it head on.

Afterwards I walked about on stage and felt a little silly. So I started singing. I pretended that there were people in the hall, that I didn't have a fear of people hearing me singing. But then I saw a Year 4 boy walk past and I quickly ducked to the side to hide, lest he discover me inside. At the side I two pieces of paper and a pair of beaten up red spectacles. Then I walked out of the hall clutching my newfound treasures. I actually contemplated keeping the pair of glasses, just like how I still keep random rubbish like the flowery umbrella casing I found on the floor of City Hall MRT one rainy afternoon, but instead opted to take a picture of it before returning it to the Estate Office.

I would upload the picture, but then there's something odd with the connectivity. So perhaps another time.

Tomorrow is the Nike Human Race. I find it unfair that I've actually been training for it but due to biological factors will be unsable to run at my peak tomorrow ): Hopefully! It doesn't rain.

No comments: