Wednesday, August 13, 2008

This is so strange that it must be documented in all it's face palm-ness in order that I may recall this event one day and laugh at the great comedy of errors that it is.

-----

Readers of this blog will remember about last week I mentioned an ex that I had seen on Facebook, who is also doing the IB now even though he is one year older. His name is Joel K-h (damnit this better not pop up on google). His e-mail is his name @hotmail.com.

Anyway last night as I was minding my own business, he randomly messaged me asking me if IOC was over. This made me freeze up a little and sent my head spinning. We hadn't talked in 5 years (K, I feel old now) save for the random scant contact on Facebook, so why was he messaging me now?! Despite my misgivings however, I replied (I seldom ignore people online anyway). This led to a conversation about the number of people in school and regular IB stuff. However the first sign that something was not quite right, but still easily dismissed, was when he asked if 6.1 was still Chinatown or Macau. Joel was from AC Barker.

I thought it was weird, but thought that maybe he visited the school before or had friends here, hence his question. So I answered. The conversation then went on till it finally died. As usual I did my best to avoid an awkward moment (or as awkward as a MSN convo can ever be) and asked him why he was doing IB this year. His next reply surprised me: "who said I was doing IB this year?"

Ordinarily I might have further put it down to me being mistaken about him doing IB, but I had gotten it straight from the horse's mouth - so why did he suddenly say that he wasn't doing IB? My mind raced and my eyes flicked up to stare at the e-mail address. OH MY GOD, THE E-MAIL WAS NOT -k*h@hotmail.com! It was -kh*o@hotmail.com. Who the hell is Joel Kh*o? OH WAIT. It's the random guy that added me on Facebook and MSN that I accepted because I am a nice person.

I really died inside -_________________________________________________-

-----

Today after school, Elliot, Lex, Patrick, Song Yeong, Gen, Malcolm, Gerald, JLC, Daryl and I stayed back to do IOC preparation in room B3-06. We covered Lear extracts 19 and 20, taking a break in between. During the breaks I ate two bananas, one dispenser mashed potato, one packet of soybean milk and shared two packets of chipsmore and a packet of pocky with everyone else. After extract 20, Patrick and Gen left and we all wandered down to the SAC to gossip about people and other random rubbish (C & J, C & Y anyone?). Then we went up and covered The Wood Pile, with Elliot leaving in the middle.

As the sun started to set and the air started to grow more florescent light filled, I took a moment to think on a macro level about everything (or alternatively stoning when everyone else was discussing Wood Pile, depending on how you look at it). I saw them erupt into laughter at something amusing that was invariably said during the course of discussion, felt the smiles and the shared joy. And then I thought to how in a few months time, this would all end. There would be no more late afternoons shared doing work together, no more random bawdy jokes and shared sniggering at unfortunate targets because we would all be separated and sent in a thousand different directions.

I felt sad. Then someone said another inane absurd thing and as I joined in the laughter, my thought was quickly forgotten.

No comments: