Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I'll Dig A Tunnel From My Window To Yours

Last week I read Taichi Yamada's I Haven't Dreamed of Flying for a While. The storyline reminded me of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, except with the de-aging process compressed within a years time instead making it a serious case of Time Is Running Out (cue the Muse song). I teared everytime Mutsuko grew younger because it reminded her and Taura how they didn't have much time left to spend with each other :x

I also finally read Natsuo Kirino's Out during my Bali trip, which was wonderfully written, yet wasn't as good as Grotesque. I think the main failing was that she tried in include too many characters at the same time, a grand total of 7. This leads to less meaningful characterisations, some which fell prey to the the sin of being cliched and underdeveloped. However the characterisation of Masako and Satake and their subsequent cat and mouse chase was executed so well that it gave me the creeps and I couldn't sleep without reading a bit of The Decameron first when I was by myself at home. The way she managed to blend the meeting of two dark psyches into something morbidly beautiful in it's tragedy and fragility was truly a work of art in my eyes.

No comments: