Friday, October 05, 2007

Definitions of degenerate on the Web:

  • pervert: a person whose behavior deviates from what is acceptable especially in sexual behavior
  • debauched: unrestrained by convention or morality; "Congreve draws a debauched aristocratic society"; "deplorably dissipated and degraded"; "riotous living"; "fast women"
  • devolve: grow worse; "Her condition deteriorated"; "Conditions in the slums degenerated"; "The discussion devolved into a shouting match"

  • My usage: my brain has degenerated as a result of studying too much.

    For the past month or so, anytime anyone used the word 'degenerate' (I think Daryl and Nic?) I had no idea what they meant. See I had studied Biology so much till the word 'degenerate' automatically had the association of 'more than one gene coding for a amino acid in RNA translation' in my mind - completely erasing prior memory of de-generate (generate backwards if you like).

    And of course for all my hardwork, Murphy's Law JUST HAD TO KICK IN and I blanked out during Bio. Fuck.

    It was the subject I had honestly studied for the most and aimed the highest for, and I blanked out (well not totally, but I forgot enough things while my mind was screaming 'HEY I KNOW THIS!' during the exam to upset me enough). Hooray.

    Today for the first time in a long while, I actually felt bored. It felt disconcerting, like there was something missing in my life once more.

    No comments: