Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Yesterday's Oktoberfast provided more interesting insights than the intended 'experience one night as a homeless person'. For instance just watching how differently the females and the males operated kept me fascinated for some period of time.

The girls and the guys had to sleep separately, which made sense. However this meant I would be stuck with a bunch of girls I didn't really know at all :/ and the few that I did know were casual friends in their own cliques.

Reluctantly holding onto my cardboard (I think I was given the biggest piece, goodness knows why), I walked over to the girls side of the field and was at a loss at how to cope with the familiar faces yet unknown people and ended up latching to Asyikin when she appeared later on the field with someone-who's-name-I-know-but-don't-know-how-to-spell-who-I-say-hi-to-when-I-see -her. Blah :x

Anyway the girls unanimously decided to work together as one huge group and clumped up together, then some took the lead and planned and gave directions, which I gladly followed since I had no opinion on the matter. Looking to the right however, the boys had all split up into their own little groups with little interest of 'unity' with the other guys.

Then later when the males and female were reunited in the common area, the females continued to clump together, to the point that I felt weird going over to sit with the people I knew from class, like Chooway, Ted Kin, Gerald, Joash and Elliot. In the end I aborted my mission followed Mary Ang around -_________-

After a while however, the girls fragmented back into old cliques while the 5.9 guys hid in male territory and refused to come out >.<>Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Memories of My Melancholy Whores which Cielo had lent to me at the area outside the squash courts, sitting next to a decidedly busy and stressed Cielo.

Eventually however people started to drift to the squash courts area, some to eat the biscuits that were provided (which I did), others to talk in a dry area and so on. The boarding school had a fire drill, and later on teachers and Drong had a fine little inspection of our area, impromptu.

It wasn't till 11:00 when the counselors were chasing us to sleep did I go, and I kept being woken up various times throughout the night. Finally at 5:3o we were woken up and herded like sleep by Cielo & Co.

Thanks to the lack of sleep, I drifted off during the SAT talk and The Englishman's HL english review (thought it might be that I was just bored, hmm). Still the entire experience was an interesting one, though one I don't quite feel like repeating for a long time.

And yes, I do know there are homeless in Singapore, I've seen them before late at night - hiding under their pieces of cardboard.

No comments: